“It will not be possible to deliver on the UN Sustainable Development Goals unless we empower people with disabilities to take their rightful place in the communities and economies in which they live.”
– Susan Scott Parker, CEO of Business Disability International
Back in 2015, 71% of businesses said they were already planning how they will engage with the SDGs.
90% of citizens said it was important for business to sign up to the SDGs.
Consumers made their views known and businesses made a commitment. It is simply not possible to deliver on these goals without removing barriers that exclude people with disabilities.
17 goals to transform our world.
Although, the word “disability” is not cited directly in all goals, the goals are all intended to ensure the inclusion and development of persons with disabilities. The SDGs explicitly include disability within the following goals.
4. Guaranteeing equal and accessible education by building inclusive learning environments and providing the needed assistance for persons with disabilities
8. Promoting inclusive economic growth, full and productive employment allowing persons with disabilities to fully access the job market
10. Emphasising the social, economic and political inclusion of persons with disabilities
11. Creating accessible cities and water resources, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems, providing universal access to safe, inclusive, accessible and green public spaces
17. Underlining the importance of data collection and monitoring of the SDGs, emphasis on disability disaggregated data